Re: [Help-smalltalk] External CSS files on Iliad. A problem with symlink

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] External CSS files on Iliad. A problem with symlinks.
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:15:03 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 01:32:40 +0300
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to adapt a basic code snippet published by Joachim Jaeckel
> at
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/joe/first-steps-iliad-web-development-gnu-smalltalk-and-iliad
> (very useful guide! Thanks :)

extremely useful, I agree. It got me over several hurdles when I started
working with Iliad a while ago.

> I soon found out that the message had changed, because the css wasn't
> showing up in the page source code, so I modified it like this, and I
> had the stylesheet in the page.
>
>     updatePage: aPage [
>       <category: 'building'>
>       super updatePage: aPage.
>       aPage head title: 'Ambaradan - Hello World application!'.
>       aPage head stylesheet href: '/stylesheets/ambaradan.css'.
>     ]

Joachim wrote his code and blog before "head" existed.

> Anyway, the sheet was empty, and trying to open it with firebug I got
> a "Failed to load source for:
> http://localhost:3000/stylesheets/ambaradan.css"; message.
>
> After a bit of hunting I realized that my Public directory was NOT
> containing the actual .css, but just a symlink to it, as I had reused
> part of the make_packages.sh script in the Iliad distro, which does a
> symlink.

I rationalized that creating symlinks and zipping the directory is easier
on the disk than copying, zipping and removing actual files.

> Symlinked .ccs do not appear to work, so now I modified my
> make_packages.sh script to do a

Are you sure that the symlink was pointing to an existing file?
Having a symbolic link in the static files part works for me.

Wild guess: You _might_ run into trouble with symlinks, if you're
using an apache proxy handling existing files by itself, when the
file is a symlink and you have not allowed apache to follow it. I
would be surprised, if Iliad/Swazoo contained code to that effect.

s.