Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad localization: managing layouts, #render: some

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad localization: managing layouts, #render: someText on: aWidget message
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:20:16 +0200

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:58:11 +0300
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm still trying to digest the news, so I won't immediately venture
> into details. I'd just like to ask Stefan if he could clarify what
> this message was expected to do.

The message render: someText on: aWidget was intended as placeholder,
since _I_ don't know what _you_ are going to do with TextLayout :-)

As I'm picturing TextLayout and friends to be layout engines, I'd
expect them to handle nitty-gritty layout details for me, so that
the different concerns are clearly separated.

As a TextLayout user, it's my job to provide the content, and pass
it to a suitable TextLayout implementation. TextLayout's responsibility
should be to take care of positioning, font selection, etc. For this
to work in an Iliad setting, a TextLayout needs to know what to put
where and we have arrived at the message "render: someText on: aWidget"

BTW: I looked at the MSDN page
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms531187(VS.85).aspx
and am a bit confused by their pictures...

lr-tb is what I consider to be normal.

rl-tb looks to be the same with "text-align: right", but this
can't be right... I'd expect rl-tb to render "hello world" as

  |          dlrow olleh |

and not

  |          hello world |

as MSDN shows it. As I understand it, rl means that the first glyph
appears in the right-most position, right?

confused,
s.