Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad localization: managing layouts, #render: som

From: Bèrto ëd Sèra
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad localization: managing layouts, #render: someText on: aWidget message
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 05:22:16 +0300

I put up a testcase for this MS thing, so we get to know what the new
layout manager does by itself and what we have to manage on our own.
Unfortunately, it is limited to windoze users, from IE8 on... so I
cannot execute the test myself (gentoo and Fedora is all I have), but
I arranged to get help from people on #gentoo-it IRC, and they should
mail me screenshots of what they see.

I used a handful of scripts, to get a rough idea of how they are
treated by this new feature. I put in a fake form, a table and a
couple of floated images. It should be enough for a first exploration.
If we are lucky most of the stuff will happen by itself, as I placed
the class in the BODY tag.

It should be noted that I also found a W3C draft that goes pretty much
on the same lines, so we can expect this thing to become general (as I
expected, the power of the Asian markets is growing). You can read the
draft here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-text-20010517/#PrimaryTextAdvanceDirection
wjile I remind you that what we are testing is a MS feature described
here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms531187(VS.85).aspx

Now the test case:

http://testlayout.i-iter.org/bt-lr.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/bt-rl.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/lr-bt.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/lr-tb.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/rl-bt.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/rl-tb.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/tb-lr.html
http://testlayout.i-iter.org/tb-rl.html

Pls, when you do the test, make a screenshot for each page and mail
them to me, together with basic data like IE version and Win version.
I will publish them on the foundation site, so we can keep them for
comparison when in doubt (since it really has no effect on any other
browser/OS).

I remind you all that the expected effects concern mostly colum 3
(Asian), which are expected to remain upright even when the LTR text
(thai, russian and english in the examples) should be turned some 90
degrees. I confes that I'm extremely curious of how forms will behave,
so if you have friends who can type in an asian language, pls ask them
to try the fake form and see if it's useable (supposing that it gets
rotated).

Berto

--
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement