Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: problem with UTF-8 in text: what the heck???

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: problem with UTF-8 in text: what the heck?????
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 10:07:00 +0200

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 10:44:33 +0300
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm positive this is just MY problem, since I see
>
>   ot aufgabe
>      text: 'Was zählt zur Hardware eines Computers?';
>
> in Stephan's blog. Yet, when served by my box it renders as:
>
> Was zählt zur...
>
> What can this beast be?

The input file you're quoting above is using ISO-8859-1 (in fact
windows-1252) , as it's coming from a windoze box.

hmm... just now Paolo's reply popped up. Might be an opportunity
to ask what gst input should be encoded as? Are strings "just byte
arrays" or do we have encoders and a canonical internal representation?

I remember wondering about this back when I had this effect, too,
but then forgot about it as it disappeared with the "right" encoding
of the input file.

Anyways, the à is a dead giveaway, as it's the ISO-8859-1 representation
of one of the multibyte markers in UTF-8. So it could be two things:
- your browser uses ISO-8859 encoding when it should be using UTF-8
- your input was UTF-8 encoded but got parsed as ISO-8859

s.

s.