[Help-smalltalk] web serving speed thoughts

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] web serving speed thoughts
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 12:34:54 +0200

I pushed a couple of commits to avoid using a #nextPut:/#next loop in Stream>>#upToEnd. It's obviously better to just use stream-to-stream #nextPutAll:, but I had to fix a bug before. :-)

With this change #next moves a bit down in the profile on a Seaside test, and #nextPut: is also less heavily used. The latter however remains the top method in the profile, which makes sense since a web server will write much more than it reads!

It looks like the parsing of fields in Swazoo is quite expensive because of the many indirections between SwazooBuffer and SwazooStream. I'll probably look at eliminating SwazooBuffer so that operations like SwazooStream>>#upTo: and SwazooStream>>#nextUnfoldedLine can be optimized better.