[Help-smalltalk] More success with VisualGST on OS X

From: Eli Green
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] More success with VisualGST on OS X
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:19:35 +0200

Hi all,

When I run gst-browser as a normal user, I receive an error saying 'File error:
Permission denied'. I have no idea where that comes from and I'm not really
sure how to debug it. I think the problem is that this occurs before the Gtk
MainLoop is executing, so the window can be created and displayed but no
widgets are ever asked to draw themselves.

However, if I run gst-browser as root, everything works perfectly! The UI comes
up very quickly and is immediately usable. There are some errors which I will
attribute to VisualGST's relative immaturity.

Any suggestions on how I can determine where this permission error is occurring?

Lastly, I was able to install the Quartz theming engine for OS X by downloading
the latest tarball (gtk-quartz-engine-0.2.tar.gz) from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-osx/files/ , installing the latest libtool
from ftp.gnu.org (placing BINDIR in my PATH) and configuring the theme like
this:

CFLAGS='-m32' LDFLAGS='-arch i386' ./configure
--prefix=/Library/Frameworks/Gtk.framework/Resources

After configuring, copy your official GNU libtool script OVER the libtool in
the gtk-quartz-theme directory - the generated version is broken but the build
works perfectly with the GNU version.

However, it is hideous. Buttons are drawn strangely, widgets overlap in
terrible ways... absolutely awful. Much better to stick to clearlooks, which
is, to my eyes, much nicer than Squeak, Pharo or VisualWorks on OS X.