[Help-smalltalk] User interface of VisualGST

From: Eli Green
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] User interface of VisualGST
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:40:53 +0200

First of all, let me state that I realize that VisualGST is a work in progress
and that the main target platform is probably Gnomish and my ideas may be too
Mac-ish (although I think Gnome is inspired by many of the better concepts of
Mac OS 9). That being said, I have a few comments:

1. The toolbar is always the same no matter what window you're using. It should
probably have things in it that apply specifically to the current window. The
Debugger, for example, could have:

Run / Restart / Step Into / Step Over / Step Out

2. Windows such as the debugger and message finders may not even need a menu
bar (maybe File and Edit for Gnome / Windows environments - on OS X it could be
removed completely). It's a little strange to pick Tools->Browser in the
Debugger and get a new tab in a different window!

Ok, those two were a little self-serving ... if there was only one really
important menu bar, OS X could dispense with the others. But I do that
window-specific toolbars make sense. :)

3. Using GtkSeparatorMenuItem instead of a blank GtkMenuItem looks nicer in OS
X, under many GTK themes and is more correct anyway... I've attached a patch.

Eli