Re: [Help-smalltalk] User interface of VisualGST

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] User interface of VisualGST
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:12:28 +0200

- For the window yes I had the same ideas in fact changing is not really
the ui is not really the problem everything is widget in VisualGST
I can plug everything in VisualGST without a "big" refactoring.

That's great to hear (what about the toolbar though?  Can it change
dynamically?).

I think this is frowned upon in UI circles... maybe something like a sidebar
would be a good idea

What would you put in the sidebar? It's just a bunch of icons, nothing like the history or bookmarks of Firefox. Seriously, I wouldn't bother too much.

Also, in the browser it's the horizontal space that is at a premium.

How do we manage sources : image based approach or file based approach
or both ?

File, definitely.  But managing sources is the most complicated thing to
design.  The least code we write, the more freedom we have later.

For now, having one namespace per package and one class per file (so
that you can fileout namespace from the UI + git commit from the command
line) is good enough.

There's a complication here (of course!): extensions to classes that don't
belong in your namespace. Monticello's method, of course, is to match class
packages with method categories so that the Seaside package is bundled together
with methods in the *seaside category in other classes.

That's true. For that we need some kind of UI to remember what a "project" is about, or a DWIM "fileout project" command that also files out categories named after a namespace (similar to Monticello, also with the * prefix).