Re: [Help-smalltalk] Using Smalltalk as a scripting language

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Using Smalltalk as a scripting language
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:04:00 +0100

On 10/26/2009 08:10 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
Why the gst_set_executable_path does not exist in gstpub.h
I don't know.

Just an old version of GST.

Now in the manual (
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/Using-Smalltalk.html#Using-Smalltalk
) it is written to omit |gst_process_file. Now what I want is two fold.
First I want to expose engine classes ( c++ classes ) to smalltalk. As
far as I get from the docs this should be possible although I'm not
fully getting it yet.

This is the same as creating bindings for a library such as SQLite or GTK+ or NCurses. There are several examples of varying complexity in the GNU Smalltalk distribution.

from that time on I operate on the game object sending all kinds of
messages. What goes for calling the initGame method I think I figured
out from the docs how this is supposed to be done but what goes for

_gst_process_file works. If the file is just a bunch of class and method definition, it won't block.

If the main program is written in Smalltalk, you actually want to make it blocking though.

Side question: Is there somewhere an API documentation? I'm not so fond
of messing with function calls if I don't know what I can feed them as
input ( docs seem rather scarce to me ).

You can feed everything you want, you may get a #doesNotUnderstand: if you screw up.