Re: [Help-smalltalk] brainstorming about gst-package and fetching remote

From: Gwenael Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] brainstorming about gst-package and fetching remote packages
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:47:16 +0100

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 14:20 +0100, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:11 +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > On 11/05/2009 11:32 AM, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:
> > > - first we need an easy way to get repositories (i.e. the list of
> > > packages)
> >
> > I think there would be two parts to implement:
> >
> > 1) download a package given a URL (could be a http URL to a .star
> > package, or a git/svn URL to a directory including a package file, or both?)
> >
> > 2) find a package's URL given its name.
> >
> > For 1, support would be needed in the beginning for svn and git.
> >
> > For 2, we could support a centralized repository at smalltalk.gnu.org
> > (like rubygems.org) so the URLs could be standard: gst-package
> > --download iliad -> gst-package --download
> > http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/iliad/repository.  The URLs could
> > redirect to the "real" URL, e.g. from
> > http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/iliad/repository to
> > git://github.com/NicolasPetton/iliad.git.
> >
> > Do you think this would be too much of a hack?  Maybe it's better to
> > return some XML thing from
> > http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/iliad/repository and parse it?
> >

> So we'll have a central repository at: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/
>
> For each URLs inside http://smalltalk.gnu.org/packages/ we will have a
> package.(st|xml) file that stores the information about the related
> project (website, version, ...)
>
> that seems fine for me.
>
> > A third part would be to update packages on the fly from the remote
> > repository (especially if it is a git or svn repository).
>
> Yes even if it is not a git or svn repository we can download new
> version.
>
> > > - for each repositories do we support multiple protocols : ssh, git,
> > > svn, http(s), ftp, ...
> >
> > That would be nice.

Maybe with :

libcurl is a free and easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library,
supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, SCP, SFTP, TFTP, TELNET, DICT, LDAP,
LDAPS and FILE. libcurl supports SSL certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP PUT,
FTP uploading, HTTP form based upload, proxies, cookies, user+password
authentication (Basic, Digest, NTLM, Negotiate, Kerberos4), file
transfer resume, http proxy tunneling and more!

libcurl is highly portable, it builds and works identically on numerous
platforms, including Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, HPUX,
IRIX, AIX, Tru64, Linux, UnixWare, HURD, Windows, Amiga, OS/2, BeOs, Mac
OS X, Ultrix, QNX, OpenVMS, RISC OS, Novell NetWare, DOS and more...

libcurl is free, thread-safe, IPv6 compatible, feature rich, well
supported, fast, thoroughly documented and is already used by many
known, big and successful companies and numerous applications.

;)