Re: [Help-smalltalk] Processes

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Processes
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:02:57 +0100

> If I change the code with
> [10 timesRepeat: [Transcript show: '1'. (Delay forMilliseconds: 1) wait]]
> fork.
> [10 timesRepeat: [Transcript show: '2'. (Delay forMilliseconds: 1) wait]]
> fork
> and run it again I get different results. Like
> 12
> 121
> 1212
>
> If I add
> (Delay forMilliseconds: 100) wait
> and run it, the two processes finish with different result every time.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or this should be the right behavior?

Whenever the execution finishes for what you typed at the REPL, the
other processes are suspended and another "st>" prompt is displayed.
Since there's nothing after the second fork, as soon as both processes
are waiting on a delay, the REPL process will terminate.  This will
happen very soon, after 1 or 2 iterations in general.  Adding a 100 ms
delay ensures that your two processes finish, so yes, this is the
right behavior.

If by "different result every time" you mean that you get some
"1221211" results, this is also expected.  The reason is that your
delays are very short, comparable with the timer resolution.  So, it's
likely that both timers will wake up at the same millisecond clock
value; which one will be picked first is substantially random.