Re: [Help-smalltalk] Kate for Smalltalkers

From: Roland Plüss
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Kate for Smalltalkers
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:08:41 +0100

Pfft... GST mailing list hates me :P . Let's try again

Sorry for the delay but life chased me around in circles <.=.<

Anyways I took a stab at the syntax file but it's written in a bit a
"particular" way so I had to scrap it and rewrite it from scratch to get
what I wanted. On one side you used rules which do not work like that in
Kate as well as the context stacking I mentioned earlier. Besides you
used your own format styles and the unwritten rule in Kate is to stick
to the provided format styles as much as possible. Has the reason to let
people recognize similar concepts in different languages ( like most
language have functions/methods, keywords, strings or comments ). Payed
attention to all these requirements in the rewritten version. Since I
didn't use code from you ( except the one and only keywords block at the
beginning ) I put myself as the author. Not sure anyways if you can put
multiple authors in a kate syntax file. I think you can but I don't
remember anymore how. I think I covered most of the syntax highlighting
which makes sense but please have a look at it and see if I missed
something. We can also discuss about the colors. I used the color
variations I used for my other syntax highlighters but that's not
written in stone.

So here first a little list of what the highlighter does:
- comments
- meta-data ( for example <comment: ... > )
- variable declarations ( aka | bla bla | )
- method definitions
- classes ( if first letter of an object is upper case )
- operators ( if method call contains operator style characters )
- objects ( true, false, nil and company )
- instance variables ( refers to using them not defining them )
- method calls ( can tell them apart from instance variables )
- literals ( strings as well as symbols like $a )
- arrays ( supports folding array definitions )
- code blocks ( supports folding code blocks but no level dept
colorizing like the original syntax highlighter does. I don't think it
helps much so I left it out )

And here the link to the file. It's the same filename as the original
highlighter so back up the previous script if you want to compare the two.
http://rptd.ch/misc/kate_syntax/kate_syntax_smalltalk-1.0.7z

Feedback and suggestions welcome.