Re: [Help-smalltalk] ObjectSpaces for GST and VM ideas

From: Gwenael Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] ObjectSpaces for GST and VM ideas
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:41:45 +0100

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 11:25 +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 01/25/2010 10:47 AM, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:
> > Hi Paolo,
> >
> > I rewrite the implementation of the ObjectSpaces for GST, you can look
> > on my GST fork inside the branch object-space. This clean up is really
> > better :
>
> That's all _really_ great.
>
> >    - I use macros instead of _object_space[_current_space].myField
>
> Yes, if we want to move away from macros we should use a semantic
> patching tool instead of search-and-replace.
>
> Paolo

A little improvement : the vm state (ip, sp, some caches, ...) is now
inside a struct (the refactoring is not yet finished but it is a
question of days ^^) so a multi threaded vm will be very easy . I should
pay attention to the GC I'll have certainly a lot of questions Paolo ;)

Also I was thinking of implementing a server for the primitives :
  * for security (i.e. a multi user vm )
  * for safety (hummm a *crash* of GTK for example :D)
  * extensibility (for each space a different server of prims, ...)

Look at this paper if you're interested :
research.sun.com/projects/barcelona/papers/usenix03.pdf

Gwen