Re: [Help-smalltalk] OS X binaries for school

From: Stephen Woolerton
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] OS X binaries for school
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:07:44 +1300

I can try.

Paolo

That is kind of you Paolo.

If it helps, programming is a tiny part of my networking job and I'm hoping to change that this year to increase the amount of smalltalk programming. But one advantage of the releases was that I could just download it and there were some instructions to follow and it just worked. Whether true or not, my perception is that there is lots of software to download and install now to get GST and VisualGST working. It isn't so much the time to compile everything as the time to hunt through all the list emails to find out what the latest process is. Same thing as with most open source projects I guess, is that documentation lags the fun stuff of programming.

No complaints here, but as much as I want to have more time programming I don't, and I understand it is the same for you, much as you want to have better documentation if you only have a few minutes, then you'll write some code.

So yes, if you do find time to get some compiled binaries in a zip file, that would be awesome. (To work through GST on its own would suffice for the students if that is all you have time for, i.e. no VisualGST)

Cheers

Stephen