Re: [Help-smalltalk] GST on Solaris 8

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GST on Solaris 8
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:46:25 -0800

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:23:34 +0100, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 10:38 PM, Rick Flower wrote:
>> 1) configure script does not detect nanosleep() -- likely because
>>     it resides in librt.so on Solaris (requiring the user to add
>>     "-lrt" to the LIBS line in the Makefile(s).  The side effect
>>     of this is that the process test (when doing a 'make check' will
>>     hang indefinately because it uses usleep() which apparently
>>     has issues on Solaris 8.
>
> Fixed in git.

Thanks!

>> 2) On Solaris 8 (not sure about 10), trunc(), truncf(), truncl(),
>>     lrint(), lrintf(), powl() are all missing -- this causes problems
>>     when building prims.def or prims.inl.  For now I've removed the
>>     offending function references in prims.def/inl which causes
>>     floating point operations to dump core with a stack overflow..
>>     Perhaps not a good fix..:(
>
> truncl and powl should be replaced already, I added replacements for the

> others.

I did see stuff indicating what you mention above about powl/truncl and I
think lrint but for whatever reason they didn't get configured properly
and were left out causing more trouble.. I can provide a paste snippet
from the configure log if that would be useful.. Let me know..

>> 3) On Solaris 8, when building lib-src/sincosl.c, gcc (different
>>     versions) complain about how sincosl_table is defined.  It is
>>     defined as a static at the top of the file and then there's
>>     some code referencing it in the middle of that file and at the
>>     end of the file is the initialization array for it.. I moved the
>>     initialization to the top and used only one declaration.. Not
>>     sure if that's good or bad.
>
> It's good, I did the same.

Cool..

> I'll push the changes shortly to the git repository.

If I want to get the latest updates via GIT but am behind a
corporate firewall, should I get the stable 3.0 tarball or the
'master' tarball?  Thanks!