[Help-smalltalk] Help needed for gst-remote

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Help needed for gst-remote
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:11:46 +0100

Hi all,

I have compiled GNU Smalltalk version 3.1-bab472a and I have installed it into
$HOME/install/gst. Now I'm trying to follow the blog post about seaside and
GNU smalltalk[1].

In one terminal I type:
  gst-remote --daemon

The effect is that it goes to the background, prints a message that it is
started and I see that someone bound to 0.0.0.0:12345

In another terminal I attempt to type:
  gst-remote --eval "3+3"

The effect is that it sits there and will die with a connection timeout after a
while.I'm running this on a 2.6.33-rc8 with a current Ubuntu version of the
Ubuntu Lucid development series.

So far I have tried to patch the Remote.st to print a message after there has
been a connection, when using telnet/nc on the above port I see this message
printed, when using gst-remote --eval 3+3" I don't.

has anyone else seen this? what am I doing wrong? Could the number of
interfaces play a role? Should I try to see which address the client tries to
connect to?

regards
        holger

[1] http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/bonzinip/seaside-development-gnu-smalltalk