[Help-smalltalk] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 13:54:05 +0100

We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009 is
that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is why
this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as the
mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk dialects, not
only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk, Cuis..they are all
invited to participate. Also cross platform projects like Seaside,
AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.

Here is a list of ideas from me, all more or less involving cross-dialect pollination. These are based on my preferences, from most to least preferred

1) GNU Smalltalk includes a refactored version of Swazoo that supports SCGI and is also faster in general. Start from there and backport the changes to Squeak/Pharo. Use Seaside's Grease cross-dialect compatibility layer to get rid of (most of) the Sport dependency.

2) Convert existing cross-platform projects to use Grease. Demonstrate them using two-three dialects (VW, Squeak, GST). Discuss possible extensions to Grease and implement them. Document Grease extension based on the formalism of the ANSI standard.

3) I agreed with the FSF to relicense GNU Smalltalk's file system classes under MIT license. Port them to at least two other dialects (Squeak/Pharo count as one). Think of cool ways to use them. Possibly work out how to integrate them into Grease and make Seaside use them.

4) Build a continuous integration server using Seaside, Iliad or AidaWeb. Build an interface to version control systems (possibly supporting both independent systems such as Monticello or file-based such as svn/CVS/git) that can be used from Smalltalk and integrate it with Smalllint code reports. For a more ambitious project, the server should be able to start a new image, upgrade the package, run SUnit tests there and communicate back the results---the time to upgrade the package should be minimized of course!

5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement it in at least two dialects. Candidates include Alien and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!). Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings. GNU Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.