Re: [Help-smalltalk] Any way to disable the "Alarm clock"?

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Any way to disable the "Alarm clock"?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 10:09:31 -0700

On Sun, 16 May 2010 08:57:02 +0200, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 03:23, Rick Flower <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've got a script that takes a bit of time to run and
>> it seems to generate an Alarm clock message and abort
>> before its done.. Is there a way to either override the
>> duration or shut it off altogether?
>
> It's a bug in GNU Smalltalk, possibly triggered by a bug in your
> script (or maybe not).  The "Alarm clock" is used to implement the
> Delay class.
>
> Can you attach the script or a "strace" of its execution?

Yes, eventually.. The script traverses the current filesystem and for
each real file executes a commmand using the 'system' call and
builds a stream pipe to analyze the results.  It can take quite some
time for this to occur depending on the number of files to analyze.
In this case I'm using it to build a tree of problem report
objects for each file for a software release I'm working on (in C++)
for my day job.  Seemed much easier to do in GST than in Perl
besides the fact that I'd learn stuff and keep my ST brain fresh!

I'll see about adding some strace output if this continues to
occur..

P.S.  Is there a good way to do something akin to C's sscanf()
stuff in Smalltalk.  The stream classes don't (at first glance)
appear to make breaking apart lines easy/efficient... TIA for
any pointers you can recommend!