[Help-smalltalk] Hello list

From: Marc Hanisch
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Hello list
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 08:16:48 +0200

Hello list,

my name is Marc Hanisch, I'm from Germany and I recently joined the
list. I'm new to GNU Smalltalk but was curious about the language,
because every time I heard about cool features of a programming
language (like Ruby) they said: this feature came from Smalltalk :-)

I'm familiar with C-like languages (C, Java and most of the time PHP
but Ruby too) and playing around with GNU Smalltalk is very exciting.

At the moment I'm a bit confused about images vs. files. I'm
accustomed to work with files with my favorite texteditor in PHP and
this works in Smalltalk, too. But what is the advantage of images?
And to be honestly, the GNU Smalltalk documentation is not the best
and clearly one...

So maybe someone can show me the advantages of images or why to use them...

Best regards,
Marc