Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Any way to disable the "Alarm clock"?

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Any way to disable the "Alarm clock"?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:46:26 -0700

Ok.. Solved!!

For Solaris 8 do NOT set #define HAVE_USLEEP 1..
Just use the other one -- HAVE_NANOSLEEP.  After rebuilding
with that config all is well and my very long winded script
runs to completion after about 5 minutes of solid chomping
on strings and pipe output.

This may be a generic Solaris issue -- haven't tried
Solaris 9 or 10..

I did check the manpages for Solaris 10 version of usleep
and it is probably OK -- this is what the Solaris 10 version
of usleep says about interactions with alarms & signals :

     The use of the usleep() function has no effect on the action
     or  blockage of any signal. In a multithreaded process, only
     the invoking thread is suspended from execution.

Below is the Solaris 8 equivalent :

     Interactions  between  usleep()  and  either   alarm(2)   or
     sleep(3C) are unspecified.

Now -- both versions of Solaris (8 & 10) have this to say
about using usleep():

  USAGE
     The usleep() function is included for its historical  usage.
     The nanosleep(3RT) function is preferred over this function.

It sounds to me like nobody on any version of Solaris 8,9,10 and
perhaps earlier versions should be using usleep but should use
nanosleep instead.. Can we make that the default for Solaris
systems?