Re: [Help-smalltalk] Creating binary data

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Creating binary data
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 16:33:41 +0800

On 06/02/2010 02:59 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 07:17, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> for the stuff I am planing to use GNU Smalltalk for I will need to
>> create binary structures. This means I need to write numbers and similar
>> as uint8,16,32,64, control the endian of these numbers and such. In
>> Pharo I have found the DataStream class is there something like this in
>> GNU Smalltalk? How would I solve my usecase in GNU Smalltalk?
>
> For native endianness you can create a CStruct subclass and remember
> to instantiate it with #gcNew instead of #new.

Thanks.

> The simplest thing to do is of course to use CStruct and do the
> endianness conversion yourself.

Is there a list of symbols I can use for my CStruct definition, honestly
I only looked at the CairoMatrix which is a fairly simple case...?

In my case I would like to read and create structure with bitfields like
the one below.

http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/browser/src/shared/libosmocore/include/osmocore/protocol/gsm_04_08.h

thanks
        holger