Re: [Help-smalltalk] Bus error while building GST 3.2 on SPARC Linux

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Bus error while building GST 3.2 on SPARC Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 01:53:12 +0200

On 07/27/2010 01:43 AM, Bruno Haible wrote:
Paolo, is gst mmaping files, and the signal occurring when you are accessing
an area that is beyond the length of the file? Or does gst only use mmap of
anonymous memory?

It is mmaping files, but the particular spot where the SIGBUS is happening means that the area was anonymously mapped. The mmaped file includes object data which is not movable and is not reused when an object inside there dies. Instead oldspace is an anonymous mmap and it is a full-blown memory heap with malloc (_gst_mem_alloc) and free (_gst_mem_free).

> What do you think about unconditionally registering an handler for both
> SIGSEGV and SIGBUS, basically dropping signals-*.h?

I'm not a fan of catching unrelated signals.

I agree, but it seems necessary (at least on SPARC/Linux). Let's wait for Gabriel's experiment.