Re: [Help-smalltalk] Improving VisualGST Menu

From: Gwenaël Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Improving VisualGST Menu
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:16:34 +0100

Ok I've made a branch where menu are refactored (done for
NamespaceWidget and ClassWidget).

Mathieu if you want to do something useful  for VisualGST:

  - Framework for preferences
  - debugger
  - ChangeSet
  - Git integration
  - work in team :D
  Other ideas a way to file out all the time when you do a ctrl+s,
  package management within VisualGSt with a tool like we
  have in linux distro (list of repositories/list of installed packages/...)

The first point is really important now we have nothing for configuring
VisualGST (the font, the color of the editor, behavior of the editor, ...)
So we should express a set of preferences save/load them on a file (may be
improve objectdumper design to serialize objects as ini/xml files) and build
automatically the dialog box.

if you have another ideas I'm welcome and open.

The design is important and we should polish it but step by step and
not breaking
everything (I've made the experience and thus try to learn). But we
shouldn't be
only focus on design we should work on parallel to make progress on
the other points
to add new features. We are a small community and as the main
developer (I've spend
lot of hours to improve and polish it, really) we should work
incrementally and step by step
without breaking all the tools when we do a refactoring. Working on
this software
is a really nice experience and I'm trying to do a good job ;)

If you *really* want to help me try to improve/finish the packagebuilder tool,
the preference framework, or ctrl+s that serialize automatically the files.

Gwen