[Help-smalltalk] Re: Cannot install GNU Smalltalk from git on NetBSD 5

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Cannot install GNU Smalltalk from git on NetBSD 5
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 01:24:58 +0300

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/31/2010 11:03 PM, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> This indicates bug in GNU Smalltalk build system, it doesn't link
>> against libpthread.
>
> Can you post a patch here too, when you look at it?  It works
> for Linux, where you have this in libgst.la:
>
> # Linker flags that can not go in dependency_libs.
> inherited_linker_flags=' -pthread'
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -ldl -lsigsegv -lffi -lreadline -lltdl -lgmp
> -lpthread -lrt -lm'
>
> and then libtool picks the dependencies automatically.
>
> Can you "grep LIBTHREAD libgst/Makefile"?

I can't reproduce it on my 5.99.39, it looks specific to 5.0.2,
see ref. 1, I don't know why, it needs further investigation.
I'll see what I can do in this respect.

Since 5.0.2 is expected to go away soon, someone should check 5.1 RC.
I'll see what I can do with this too.

If you're interested in already existing fixes, you can find patches
at ref. 2, some of them add DragonFly support, some of them fix builds
on NetBSD at least (my primary working platform), FreeBSD, and DragonFly
(those who touched the package last work on those platforms).