Re: [Help-smalltalk] Improving VisualGST Menu

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Improving VisualGST Menu
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:25:12 +0100

On 11/02/2010 05:13 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
Le mardi 02 novembre 2010 à 11:11 +0100, Paolo Bonzini a écrit :
On 11/02/2010 09:52 AM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
This is a bit tricky because it would help only for files initially filed
out from VisualGST itself.  Also it has the problem of preserving any top
comments like the ones in *.st files.  It could reuse some of the code in
gst-convert.

For the header you could do like a lot of IDE a allow the user to choose
the header: we could encode the licences (Mit, BSD, GPL, ...) or anything
else ...

Copyright and license information can be different for each file.

As I understand it, VisualGST will fileout 1 class per file, so we can
be pretty sure than loading a package and doing a fileout will change
the structure of the files.

So, does it make sense to try to keep headers like they are right now?

I'm all fine with changing the structure of the git tree according to what VisualGST prefers (in due time). However the copyright header shall remain, because the GPL suggests that:

  To do so, attach the following notices to the program.  It is safest
  to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively
  convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least
  the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.

and actually mandates that when you're distributing a modified version of another program:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

(which is actually taken care of by a copyright notice, too).

Still, if you want to check out method modifications to a file, you can do that without changing the structure of the file. Reading the file, and writing it out, in gst-convert style (but with the new method in place and without reformatting) will provide exactly this.