Re: [Help-smalltalk] Wireworld animated GIF renderer - also questions on

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Wireworld animated GIF renderer - also questions on style and distribution
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 00:32:18 +0100

On 12/06/2010 11:07 PM, John Morrice wrote:
* Reads wireworld programs in the format described on the Rosetta
   Code page.
* Produces animated (pseudo) GIFs of the simulation, using libplot from
   GNU Plotutils.

Nice!

Inevitably I have questions:

That's good.

* I have not parcelled my program as a package. I've read about
   Smalltalk packages though, and I see that a package can depend on a
   shared object being installed.
   However, my program contains C code which is compiled to a shared
   library and then loaded dynamically in Smalltalk.  I couldn't see
   anything in the user manual which would suggest that C source can be
   distributed as part of a package, and compiled on the user's machine.
   Am I right or are there Smalltalk tools that help with this?
   More broadly: am I doing it wrong?
   What is the convention for dealing with this?

http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/creating-and-distributing-packages

:)

Paolo

* I'm used to choosing method and function names in Ruby,
   Haskell and C that describe the intent of the function.  In
   Smalltalk I'm finding this difficult because I need multiple
   selector names, one: for each: parameter, so I have to choose multiple
   selector names which together describe the intent.  I'm not sure
   why, but I find this very difficult.  Any advice?

A common idea is to compose: verbs with: prepositions and: conjunctions.