Re: [Help-smalltalk] Getting the output of a system command

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Getting the output of a system command
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:10:52 +0100

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 03:50:16 -0800 (PST)
ZuLuuuuuu <address@hidden> wrote:

> pipe := FileStream popen: 'bla bla bla' dir: FileStream read.
>
> I can get the "normal" output by #nextLine etc. But if it exits with an exit
> code different then 0, I cannot read any output, for example, #nextLine
> returns nil. How can I get the error message as well?

Getting the "normal" output probably means that you are capturing the
called program's stdout.

Does the program write to stdout at all in case of the faulty exit?

Run the aborting with output redirection

        bla bla bla 1>stdout.log 2>stderr.log

and make sure that stdout.log is not empty.

s.