Re: [Help-smalltalk] Small proposal for packages

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Small proposal for packages
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:25:53 +0100

On 12/20/2010 11:07 AM, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
Hi,

I just want to present some small extensions for packages:

1. Add extra meta information
======================

A short description of the package, url of the project, and an icon
these points would be useful for an ui in VisualGST.

Not sure about icons, but package, url and license/copyright would be very useful.

I would like to make the difference between
prereq packages and sub packages for instance Iliad would have iliad-more-....
has a subpackage and swazoo has prereq.

Agreed.

2. Virtual packages
===============

A virtual package would only contains prereq packages and
sub packages. for instance It will be usefull for ui if you search
iliad it will display iliad with priority and the other sub packages
after.

That should be easy, just look for "*.xml" (* not being "packages") inside the package directory and parse those without the need for a .star wrapper.

3. add a reload message ;-)

Easy enough.  Not guaranteed to work without atomic loading, though.

4. Load order

Something that's annoying with big packages is that we should
put the files ordered with the inheritance order. A solution
is too to a pass on the package and generate the right file loading
order. But things remain complicated when you inherit from external
packages and the other. All the suggestions/ideas are welcome ;)

That should be easily taken care of by PackageSource, since it basically disregards the existing source structure.