Re: [Help-smalltalk] failed compile

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] failed compile
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:12:36 +0100

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 09:36, Stefan Schmiedl <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:24:54 +0100
> Mathieu Suen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Did you install the dev package?
>
> That's a very good idea in general. Ubuntu (like others)
> provides library x in package x for _compiled_ programs
> to use. If you plan on _compiling_ something using
> library x, you need package x-dev, which contains the
> header files needed for a typical configure run to succeed.

That's correct, and it's also true for almost all distributions.
Fedora and other Red Hat-based distributions call them "x-devel"
instead. Fink instead uses the plain package name for development
packages and "x-shlibs" for the "user-only" package.

Only distributions that compile everything, such as MacPorts or the
original BSD port systems (and Gentoo as well, I think), have no
distinction between "user" and "development" packages.