Re: [Help-smalltalk] Coding workflow

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Coding workflow
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:56:07 +0100

On 03/11/2011 05:22 PM, Anselm Strauss wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering what people's coding workflow looks like in GNU
Smalltalk. I have used Squeak a lot and of course know about Eclipse and
all this fancy stuff. There is visual gst but I was more interested in
the good old vim/emacs way.

- How to keep the overview over the code? Use folding in the editor? Use
ctags to jump between files and lines? Is there something like an
outline e.g. for all classes in a file?

- How to look up documentation and external source code? Extract all
star packages and generate the HTML documentation?

I usually use visualgst for browsing and keep it around even if I'm editing in vim/emacs.

- How to debug? Is there an inspector during debugging?

It's not the best (no expression evaluation), but there is one if you load the MiniDebugger example in your image (gst -SK examples/MiniDebugger.st).

- How to deal with namespaces? If they are defined in the package.xml of
a star package, does this not break when I use the extracted code while
developing.

You can use

   Smalltalk removeFeature: #X. PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'X'

to force reloading a package in an image (which includes going to the correct namespace).

Alternatively, you can set the current namespace in the REPL with "Namespace current: YourPackage" so that you can load files in the correct namespace.