[Help-smalltalk] Persistency, sockets and interacting with GST

From: Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Persistency, sockets and interacting with GST
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:44:50 +0100

Hi all,

I'm developing an application on a spanish closed source enviroment. This
closed source enviroment, is something similar to Servoy. A Server runs, and a
client connect to it to show the QT application (SaaS, PaaS). This enviroment,
has some limitations to access other databases than his own, and some other
limitations using XML, sending mails, and so on.

I'm thinking about to use GST as platform support to do things I can't with
this enviroment, and communicate between sockets to retrieve information. I
can show too inside the application with a WebKit widget, a page served from
Seaside/Iliad inside a image file to interact with GST for my purposes.

I'm studying all of this for the moment, but, as I'm not familiar with GST
and/or sockets, I would like to know If I'm going crazy or could be an
interesting solution.

- As far as I tried, seems like I can zip gst builded for windows and bundle
with the .image file ready to go, with my application, but, this could be done
too with OSX or Unix? or I need to build and put all the files in the right
place?

- Right now, the most important thing I need could be sending mails. Has GST
builded support for something like this

- What options for persistency and database access we have right now in GST?

Regards.