Re: [Help-smalltalk] VisualGST

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] VisualGST
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:35:48 +0100

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:01, Gwenael Casaccio <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's true and this is something I've in mind for such
> a time but yesterday I've hacked a bit VisualGST
> and made a simple prototype (this is just a "new" widget):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4s6niwZEw
>
> or you can try the browserWidget branch on VisualGST git

It is interesting indeed.  I like the idea.  However, please make sure
that it is implemented with a sane state model---such as my newState
experiment, though not necessarily that one.  The biggest bug (not
limitation!) in VisualGST right now is that the behavior is quite
unpredictable when you entered code that does not compile.

However, the obvious devil's advocate question is: why do you like
this, but not merging the transcript/workspace tab strip with the
browsers tabstrip?

> Now I want to merge the transcript (should be replaced by
> a kind of log tool), the workspace and the source widget. They are
> not exactly the same but share same functionalities the user can
> evaluate/inspect/debug but the major difference I want to introduce is
> the idea of "scope" inside a Namespace the source widget will work
> like a normal workspace inside a class too but inside a method.

That's nice indeed.  Adding Namespace selection to a workspace is a
very good idea, especially if we can get rid of the
Namespace>>#current: method in 3.3.

However, remember that a workspace has the additional functionality of
tracking undefined variables.  How would that fit?