[Help-smalltalk] Re: [aida] Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

From: Esteban A. Maringolo
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [aida] Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:14:44 -0300

2011/3/14 Nicolas Petton <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare time: Jtalk
> Smalltalk.
>
> http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk

Congratulations Nicolas. It is really impressive.

I'm slowing turning to JS development, and the one thing I miss the
most is the Smalltalk syntax, particularly is keyword messaging.

On the philosophical side I don't know whether building an entire
Smalltalk on top of JS is the long term solution, or if just having a
syntax "translation" layer  that would allow any Smalltalk developer
to benefit from the growing number of JS libraries coming out every
day. Maybe having both would be the right fit.

JS seems to be this decade "revolutionary" language, and any
Smalltalker is closer to the mind-set of JS development than any other
static language developer (Java/.net, etc), however I don't know how
would a JS based Smalltalk handle things such as prototypes and the
use of them (mixins, and so on).

Comments aside, congratulations for it.

Esteban A. Maringolo