Re: [Help-smalltalk] How to access environment variables ?

From: Mehul Sanghvi
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] How to access environment variables ?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:42:06 -0400

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 04:14, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 12:19 AM, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:

[ explanation deleted ]

That helps a lot in understanding things.  Thanks.

> Regarding the rest of your message,
>
>> st>  Smalltalk environ:
>> st>
>>
>> I am guessing some sort of pointer issue either in cint.c or CFuncs.st ?
>
> No, there's no guessing required.  You simply haven't completed your
> statement, so gst is waiting for you to type the end.
>
> Honest question, how much do you know Smalltalk?  I think you have a bigger
> problem than accessing environment variables.
>
> Paolo

I used VisualWorks, on and off,  at a previous job a few years ago
which started me on the
Smalltalk wagon.  But even though I was able to figure things out in
VW and debug
our product, I consider myself totally new.  I plan to go through the
Computer Programming
with Gnu Smalltalk book in order to get beyond that newbie distinction
and then follow that
up with butterfly book (Smalltalk, Objects, and Design by Liu).

I am aware that I needed the '.'  is needed to terminate the
statement.  But since
I didn't need when I did things like

     gst> Smalltalk getenv: 'SHELL'
     '/bin/bash'
     gst>

I didn't think I needed it when I was doing the environ statement.
Also the fact that
it was only through this process of going back and forth with you that
I've learnt I can
do something like

     gst>  Smalltalk environ

which is different from

     gst>  Smalltalk environ:

the last one needing a '.' to make it a complete statement or an object.

cheers,

      mehul

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi