Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Still problems to trying install grease

From: Travis Griggs
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Still problems to trying install grease
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:02:40 -0700

On Apr 7, 2011, at 12:43 PM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Travis Griggs-4 wrote:
>>
>> Thought I'd take a fresh run at this.
>>
>> 1) Got a fresh kubuntu install (not just for this, but I wanted to try the
>> new KDE out)
>> 2) Installed a number of packages as prescribed by
>> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/zuluuuuuu/installing-gnu-smalltalk-ubuntu-10-10.
>> I had to add install gawk as well for the next step to work.
>> 3) Downloaded GST 3.2.4 and did the configure/make/make install (sudo on
>> the last step of course)
>> 4) Played around with VisualGST to verify things were working to some
>> degree
>> 5) Did gst-package --download grease -t ~/.st
>>
>> Got a stack trace that looked like the following at the top:
>>
>> address@hidden:~/smalltalk-3.2.4$ gst-package --download grease -t ~/.st
>> Object: nil error: Invalid value nil: object not indexable
>>
>> SystemExceptions.NotIndexable(Exception)>>pass (ExcHandling.st:385)
>>
>> optimized [] in UndefinedObject>>executeStatements
>> (/usr/local/share/smalltalk/scripts/Package.st:1195)
>> SystemExceptions.NotIndexable(Exception)>>activateHandler:
>> (ExcHandling.st:516)
>> SystemExceptions.NotIndexable(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
>>
>> SystemExceptions.NotIndexable class(SystemExceptions.InvalidValue
>> class)>>signalOn: (SysExcept.st:409)
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>checkIndexableBounds: (Object.st:792)
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>at: (Object.st:858)
>>
>> File class(FilePath class)>>isAbsolute: (FilePath.st:171)
>>
>> File class(FilePath class)>>fullNameFor: (FilePath.st:187)
>>
>> File class>>name: (File.st:112)
>>
>> PackageFiles>>addURL: (/usr/local/share/smalltalk/scripts/Package.st:322)
>>
>> PkgInstall(PackageCommand)>>addFile:
>> (/usr/local/share/smalltalk/scripts/Package.st:591)
>> optimized [] in PackageCommand>>runOnAll:
>> (/usr/local/share/smalltalk/scripts/Package.st:602)
>> OrderedCollection>>do: (OrderColl.st:68)
>>
>> Any help hugely appreciated. Do I *need* grease to do the Iliad thing?
>>
>> --
>> Travis Griggs
>> Objologist
>> "An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain
>> itself." - Charles Dickens

> Hello,
>
> As Thomas said you need to install libgnutls-dev as well. I learned this
> after writing that blog post so I updated it now. Added libgnutls,
> libgnutls-dev, git, and gawk. Thanks!

Thank YOU. I just applied for a "bloggers license" there, so I could add the
updated list, but it's great you've done it already. I'll have to wait for
another issue to come up to blog about. :)

Now I'm sitting here staring at the screen thinking, "OK, what do I do now".
I'll go see if I can find a "My First Iliad App" tutorial now.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist