Re: [Help-smalltalk] Strategy to finding memleaks

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Strategy to finding memleaks
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 15:33:45 +0200

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 13:49, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 01:37 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:14, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Okay with ObjectMemory globalGarbageCollect; compact. all these objects will
>>> be removed. But without these the VM looks like it will go OOM as it is
>>> finalizing these objects but not removing them from memory.
>>
>> That's strange but possible. Do you do anything except "run a lot of
>> queries"?
>
> I just execute the script below. In the case where I found this I was using
> the result to determine how many rows where affected (to see if the update was
> successful or failed).
>
> Do you have a hint of where I could look in oop.c? In your mental model what
> should happen?

After some time the first GC would happen and the result sets should
be gathered into an array and finalized. Then the second GC would
happen and the result sets would be collected.

You can check: 1) if the finalizers are run; 2) who the owners are
after #finalize; 3) who the owners are for the array of objects to be
finalized, after its processing has ended.

You have a talent for writing testcases, anyway!