Re: [Help-smalltalk] [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

From: ZuLuuuuuu
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 04:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

MrGwen wrote:

> On 05/08/2011 11:17, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on an IDE for GNU Smalltalk from time to time. It is called
>> Overlord and it is a simple and classic class browser like gst-blox (so
>> nothing new). It has come to a stage where it might have its usage for
>> some
>> people.
>>
>> Besides the very very ugly coding, it lacks some major features like
>> exporting capability, debugger and inspector. Also its text editor is
>> just a
>> text view for now... But you can do simple things like
>> adding/editing/removing namespaces, classes, methods and it has syntax
>> highlighting.
>>
>> I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't
>> know
>> how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:
>>
>> http://www.canol.info/smalltalk/Overlord.tar.gz
>>
>> To install:
>>
>> 1) Extract the tarball
>> 2) cd ~/the-folder-you-extracted-into/Overlord (this is necessary)
>> 3) gst ./Main.st
>>
>> or
>>
>> gst -I "the-path-to-image-you-want-to-open" ./Main.st
>>
>> Here is a screencast to see it in action. I do a classic hello world web
>> application example using Iliad:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWArTTtsZ-0
>>
>> Comments and contributions are welcome...
>>
>> -----
>> Canol Gökel
>> --
> Hi Canol,
>
> Nice to have a new ide for GST, but why haven't you consider improving
> VisualGST ?
> For instance your dialog for the class building is nice and I guess I
> would add it,
> why haven't you send a mail about the ide...
>
> So we will have two inspectors, two transcripts, two workspaces ...
>
> For instance the debugger of VisualGST could be improved send a patch,
> have you looked at all the changes I've made for GTK in VisualGST
> or at the GTK-Tools?
>
> I guess we can work together to provide a better IDE at least I want that.
>
> Cheers,
> Gwen

I started to code this IDE to learn more about reflection and how to create
workspaces, transcripts etc. but VisualGST is a pretty big project and its
codebase was pretty big so I decided to code one from scratch.

We can share code between the IDEs, I guess. I'll choose MIT or GNU or
something like that (any suggestions?). And now that I know more about these
stuff I might be able to contribute to VisualGST in the future.

-----
Canol Gökel