[Help-smalltalk] Threaded C call

From: Gwenaël Casaccio
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Threaded C call
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:01:55 +0200

Hi,

I would like to announce the first beta version
of the threaded C call extension for GST. Unlike
the Cog implementation I don't fork the virtual machine
instead I use a thread pool and a queue of C call that
will be consumed by the different threads.

The implementation is closed to the C call implementation,
I've used the same approach, the only missing parts is
the handle of the return value and the update of the Smalltalk
string.

Since objects cannot be allocated (this won't be thread
safe at all) I use a buffer in the fixed space that will handle
the return value (now a large number) and the value will be
converted in the Smalltalk side (not yet finished). And for the
Smalltalk string update may be something like (ie moving to
the fixed space) that is what I need to do.

Consider this work as a work in progress

you can find the code there :
https://github.com/MrGwen/smalltalk/tree/threadedCall
git://github.com/MrGwen/smalltalk.git (threadedCall branch)

Cheers,
Gwen