Re: [Help-smalltalk] Question on translating some code from VisualSmallt

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Question on translating some code from VisualSmalltalk to GST..
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:30:16 -0700

On 25.09.2012 23:13, Ladislav Marek wrote:

Only constants are allowed within #() syntax, so #(1 2 3 true nil
etc.) is allowed, but no variables or expressions.

Hmm.. So a disconnect of sorts.. Doh!  I was thinking about
porting some code over that I found for VisualSmalltalk that
could write RTF files from scratch but the code seems to use
these as a quasi-lookup table of sorts -- mapping statements
to classes that handle/parse those statements.. I'm wondering
at this point if it might not be easier to find an external
RTF writer written in "C" (for instance) and build some
bindings for GST to use it.. Is that route painful -- ?

I guess another possible option (perhaps?) would be to
generate some sort of input file that directs an offline
(e.g. perl module) tool to write the RTF based on directions..
Not sure if such a beastie exists or not..

One last thought would be to have my code use pre-canned
templates of sorts and just fill-in the details to flesh
out the document -- that might be my easiest choice and
certainly the fastest to get me to my end-point..

If you can think of any other suggestions or libraries
that are license compatible with GST, drop me a note..
Thanks all!!

--Rick