[Help-smalltalk] Improving the Convert.st and RB*

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Improving the Convert.st and RB*
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:29:10 +0200

Hi Paolo,

I have the first parallel development of some code in Pharo and Gst
and would like to use the converter on a regular basis. I have some
issues though and I would like to have your comments.

RB Rewrite rules. I tried to write a "@object ==> @object" rule but
this fails as the RBScanner (used to parse the rewrite expression)
does not know these long binary selectors. I patched the Squeak
scanner a while back. So somehow I need to be able to set a scanner
when parsing the rule

Resolving classes and loading rules. E.g. when I ported the PetitParser
I made the decision to change ==> to =>. It would be nice if I
could have <ConversionRules>FixSelectors.rules</ConversionRules> in
my package and have this loaded by the converter, e.g. by saying
--package PetitParser.

Splitting code by class name and putting extensions into an
Extensions.st.

any ideas or objections?
        holger