Re: [Help-smalltalk] Roadmap

From: Janko Mivšek
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Roadmap
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:38:44 +0100

Hi Holger,

Dne 16. 01. 2013 20:51, piše Holger Hans Peter Freyther:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:08:11PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> Any interest to port Aida/Web framework to GST? Cuis guys are just doing
>> that, so in parallel I can help you with a port too. Of course if there
>> will be some maintainer of that port for a long-term ...

> I tried to download a MCZ file to check how much work it would be. What I
> am interested in is how to do you maintain the different versions? E.g. if
> someone submits a patch does it need to be submitted for ACME VM? How do you
> make sure that all versions work equal?

Aida code is pretty portable, that is, if during porting some
nonportable code is found, then a least common denominator between
dialects is tried to be first found. If not found then the dialect
specific method is marked as such in method comment, like "Squeak
specific". There are not much such methods. To found them you have a
special browser (on VW for now) to find and browse them.

Currently main development is continuous on VisualWorks and continuously
production tested, then a Squeak/Pharo port is done and released
together with VW as public release. Other ports like Dolphin is done
later by a dialect specific maintainer.

So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
procedure but this can be changed of course.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek