Re: [Help-smalltalk] Roadmap

From: Janko Mivšek
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Roadmap
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:54:40 +0100

Hi Holger,

Dne 17. 01. 2013 08:34, piše Holger Hans Peter Freyther:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:38:44PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>> So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
>> tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
>> procedure but this can be changed of course.
>
> Is this porting a manual process or do you have tools to port from Pharo
> FileOut to other dialects? And could you please point me to the current
> MCZ file of Aida? http://mc.aidaweb.si/ is currently not serving any files.

We moved now to SmalltalkHub, team Aida. You can find a project at:

        Aida project: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida/Aida
        Aida team: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida

(I just updated this info on http://www.aidaweb.si/community) too.

Procedure to port a new version from VW to Squeak/Pharo is briefly as
follows:

- Fileout the differences from VW
    (parcel FileOut30 loaded, VW30 (not Squeak) fileout format!)
- from File browser in Squeak/Pharo open this file as Code
- now manually load method by method while checking parallely the code
changes in very nice VW diff browser. Manually do also class changes and
any method removals.

This takes me few hours per release of work. Much more work is to
prepare an actual release, so I think it is not worth to automatize this
procedure much more. But user level testing (by tools like Selenium)
would help much here. Together with Continuous integration with Jenkins
(as we already have for Pharo).

Hope this clarifies the porting procedure a bit :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web