[Help-smalltalk] Ideas on a new kind of package

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Ideas on a new kind of package
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 17:37:04 +0100

Hi,

Problem:
when testing my code I am using FileStream fileIn: 'Code.st' a lot. This
means that my code needs to work with and without namespaces and I used
"PackageLoader fileInPackage: .." inside the .st files. The namespace
problem is handled by changging the code (mostly extensions to String,
ByteArray). The PackageLoader code was an issue when I started to port to
Pharo so I removed it.

Proposal:
Create a new kind of Package that is actually just the git repository. With
some tooling help one could:

        - Have gst-sunit work on the unpackaged package.
        - Make it more easy to load the CWD into an image without any of
          the above issues.

Evolution:
I still dream about an in-situ FileOut that would keep the formatting, other
comments, order and replaces the file. One could enable this in-situ fileout
for these kind of 'editable' packages?

comments?
        holger