Re: [Help-smalltalk] Ideas on a new kind of package

From: Gwenaël Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Ideas on a new kind of package
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:29:26 +0100

On 04/03/2013 20:59, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 05:37:04PM +0100, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
Hi,
Hi again,

Proposal:
Create a new kind of Package that is actually just the git repository. With
some tooling help one could:

        - Have gst-sunit work on the unpackaged package.
        - Make it more easy to load the CWD into an image without any of
          the above issues.
based on the chat with today. I have attached a prototype for this new
kind of package format. It can be used like this:

        PackageLoader
                addDirPackage: 'packages/stinst/parser/package.xml;
                fileInPackage: 'Parser.dir'.

For every dir package the package will be made available as NAME and
NAME.dir. This is done to easily take presedence over the normal package.

What do you think? Somehow it would be cleaner if the new package and
the star package would have a common base class instead of subclassing
the star one. On the other hand the package.xml is a 'star' thing.

comments?
        holger

PS: Any ideas of an in-situ output? My goal is really to work on a package
and use PackageLoader dirPackageOut: 'Parser'. And everything is written
back to where it came from. Does anyone share this idea with me?