Re: [Help-smalltalk] JIT issues and todolist

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] JIT issues and todolist
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 08:27:25 +0200

On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 09:18:00PM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will not have time for another couple of weeks for the JIT but just
> in case someone is interested to continue or has some insight here is
> a list of known issues:
>

> 1.) The Delay test is failing as the spOffset/sp of a context is -1.
> This means that in some jitted code there is an unbalanced push/pop
> in the stack.

The issue is not the spOffset -1 for the context part but actually the
inlined primitive for Object>>#basicAt:. I have #ifdef 0/#endif out the
code to force to go through the normal primitive code and the test is
passing now.

I fail to create such a BlockContext (I assume it is going through
the Process>>#queueInterrupt or signalInterrupt:). Paolo do you think
you could help me to build a shorter re-producer?

Would you mind if we disable the inlining with #ifdef 0 right now and
re-enable with some more time?

Even on the interpreter:
An instance of BlockContext
  parent: BlockClosure>>ensure: (BlkClosure.st:271)
  nativeIP: 0
  ip: 8
  sp: -1
  receiver: UndefinedObject
  method: [] in UndefinedObject>>executeStatements
  outerContext: nil
[] in BlockClosure>>asContext: (BlkClosure.st:181)
BlockContext class>>fromClosure:parent: (BlkContext.st:68)
optimized [] in UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (tests/delays.st:40)
BlockClosure>>ensure: (BlkClosure.st:271)
[] in Delay>>value:onTimeoutDo: (Delay.st:315)
BlockClosure>>on:do: (BlkClosure.st:196)
Delay>>value:onTimeoutDo: (Delay.st:316)
UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (tests/delays.st:40)