Re: [Help-smalltalk] MiniDebugger package

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] MiniDebugger package
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:35:02 +0200

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01:18AM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

Good Morning,

> What I think is missing:
>
>  * Make VisualGST's Debugger understand >>debug: too
>  * Separation of code and inspecting the context:

I tried to debug another parsing issue with the Squeak importer (

   ^self perform: #<! !

is parsed as '^self perfom: #<!'. I have used the Debugger package
to step through things. The stepping in the debugger mostly works
until a >>#printString on the context inspector creates a DNU and
then things are stuck.

We do have the same problem in VisualGST when printing an Object
to a String. I think for the time being (e.g. not having mirror
based reflection) is to create a selector in the DebugTools so we
can burry a pokemon exception in there that will either return a
String or an error message.

cheers

        holger

Example:

       res := (STClassLoader new
            parseSmalltalkStream:
'Object subclass: #PhexMatcher
       instanceVariableNames: ''value state''
       classVariableNames: ''''
       poolDictionaries: ''''
       category: ''Phexample-Core''!

!PhexMatcher methodsFor: ''expecting'' stamp: ''JoeExample 10/27/2009 18:35''!
< expected
       ^self expect: expected using: #<! !' readStream with:
SqueakFileInParser) first.

        (res >> #<) inspect.