[Help-smalltalk] Single stepping issue in the JIT

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Single stepping issue in the JIT
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 20:56:12 +0100

Good Evening Polo,

I am at the next problem of DebugTools and the JIT. It is a weird one
and at the boundary of my knowledge about context activation.

Interpreter:
 st> a := nil. p := [a :=3 ] newProcess
 st> p singleStep; suspend
 Process(nil at userSchedulingPriority, suspended)

JIT:
 st> a := nil. p := [a :=3] newProcess
 st> p singleStep; suspend
 Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes)

So something went wrong with the stack in the JIT case. I have a
similar issue with the >>#stepByteCode of the Debugger.

 st> deb := Debugger on: [a := 5. b := 6. c := 7] newProcess
 st> blo := [deb process singleStep; suspend]
 st> blo value
 Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes)
 st> deb process
 Process(nil at userSchedulingPriority, ready to run)

So the process does not suspend and the TOS appears to be something
wird. Do you have an idea of what could go wrong?

holger