Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on ARM - Raspberry Pi

From: Stephen Woolerton
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on ARM - Raspberry Pi
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:07:23 +1200

If this helps, with regard to the the failure of all the ANSI tests... on
running make check, I see:-
cd . && /usr/local/src/smalltalk-master/tests/gst -S
--image=/usr/local/src/smalltalk-master/tests/gst.im AnsiLoad.st
ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld_lock.c:233
gmake[2]: *** [gst.im] Abort trap (core dumped)
gmake[2]: *** Deleting file `gst.im'

> This is odd. This might be due ARM differences. GNU Smalltalk doesn't use a
> read/write barrier but we mprotect pages and expect a SIGSEGV when these are
> being read/written to. It might be that libsigsegv is behaving differently on
> FreeBSD.
>
> You could attempt to use "--disable-generational-gc"
Have just used --disable-generational-gc and there was no change in the test
suite. So now have uninstalled, cleaned, and am recompiling with the
recommendation below. I have not used the --disable-generational-gc option in
this next install.
Takes about an hour and a half round trip from compiling through to
uninstalled, so yeah, theres time for a cup of coffee.
> and if that doesn't make
> it more stable you can head to libgst/oop.h and uncomment the define from the
> below fragment. If it works better we have an idea where we can look at.
>
> /* Define this flag to disable blacking of grey pages (that is, the
>   entire oldspace is scanned to look for reachable newspace objects).
>   This is also necessary to run valgrind on GNU Smalltalk.  */
> /* #define NO_SIGSEGV_HANDLING */

By the way, how does one check one of the test files outside of 'make check',
.e.g to check intmath.st without running the whole test suite

Stephen