Re: [Help-smalltalk] DBI.Connection call yields "Object: nil error: did

From: Mark Bratcher
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] DBI.Connection call yields "Object: nil error: did not understand #atEnd" in ST 3.2.91-b98173d
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 06:28:40 -0400

Hi Holger

Thanks again for being so responsive.

After doing some admittedly light research on the `new` method versus `initialize`, it looks like Pharo (and probably, therefore, Squeak) is the only variant of Smalltalk that automatically calls an instance initializer (`initialize`) on `new`. If GNU Smalltalk is following this to be easier to port from Pharo, that raises a philosophical question for GNU Smalltalk: is intended for it to align as much as possible with the Pharo implementation (and then perhaps, ultimately, become a "Pharo variant"), or to attempt to remain more "pure" (whatever that might mean :)) relative to Smalltalk-80? I noticed in various texts discussion Smalltalk class instance creation, specifically show a pattern something like:

    Foo class >> new [
        ^super new initialize
    ]

Mark