[Help-smalltalk] gst-browser startup crash

From: Andreas Rosenberg
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] gst-browser startup crash
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 19:43:51 +0100

Hi!

I wanted to try GNU Smalltalk and ran into the same problem as Torbjörn
Wejheden about a year ago.

It seems, that with several popular Linux distributions you currently
are getting crashes, when trying
to start the gst-browser. see:
https://gist.github.com/bill-auger/7658fff47b7ba5ac65dfc3e5e74b1e6a

I tried to build it from source myself and after fiddling for several
hours I finally got it working.

I'm on Fedora 27 and after a fresh install this gave me a working build:
-----------------------
sudo dnf install gcc git automake bison flex libtool libtool-ltdl-devel
libffi-devel libsigsegv-devel cairo-devel gtk2-devel texinfo

git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/smalltalk.git

cd smalltalk

autoreconf -vi
./configure
make

sudo make install
-----------------------
If you install the "gnu-smalltalk" package from the Fedora repository,
gst-browser has it's first fail in:

GTK.GtkWindow class>>new: (GTK.star#VFS.ZipFile/Funcs.st:1)

because of:

Invalid C call-out gtk_window_new

gtk_window_new is being exported by libgtk-x11-2.0.so  (but also by:
libgtk-3.so).

Digging a bit further, I found that the module "gst-gtk-3.2.92.so" is
linked against
"libgtk-x11-2.0.so", which is (now?) only provided by package: gtk2-devel.

I don't know, who is responsible for maintaining the packages, but
adding gtk2-devel as
dependency should fix the problem for now.

Anybody already tried to build against GTK3? libgtk-3.so seems to be
available with
standard GTK packages.

Andreas